後醫系一年級宋潔出國研習心得

研習時間:1000803~1000906

研習地點:尼泊爾

研習名稱:國際志工

研習類別:國際志工

I joined the program and started my journey to Nepal in hope to help others, however, in returned I was the one who was being saved and have made many friends along the way. It was an extraordinary experience, more than I could ever hope for. Coming back from the trip, I feel like I am a whole new person, with a better understanding of myself, the world and the possibilities of different ways to service others. It was not an easy trip and we were faced with many obstacles from the beginning starting when there was not enough space to carry all the items we need and want and the flight was moved up and we were in a rush to catch the flight. However, I was smiling and happy most of the time and we managed to overcome all odds. There’s a saying, “when life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.” This quote was demonstrated to me by all the people I have met in Nepal, disregard their given living condition. Perhaps it was the diversity or the access to resources (or the lack of it), but I was pushed to be more creative and felt closer to my environment and the people there. There was no use of computer and projector in the classroom, so we had to design a course which can be delivered by paper and writing. The language also made it difficult to learn, to make it more interesting we incorporated many songs, stories, crafts and pictures to excite them. I think the best thing about this journey is the fact that we are there an extend period of time teaching them, which enabled us to get to know them and become friends with them rather than a tourist passing by like a breeze. Everyday we meet in the classroom and outside of the classroom talking, sharing and learning about each other. They have showed me a different perspective to look at the world. One small monk told me “I think the moon is closer to Nepal than Taiwan,” I told him no and asked why he thinks that and he responded, “Because I can see the moon from here but I can’t see Taiwan.” I was made speechless by his innocence and simplicity. There are many geographic or even scientific explanations; however, at that moment I didn’t want to say them and felt they are no longer important. I was merely enjoying his company. He showed me a different way to see the world.

While I was there I was touched by various events everyday. Seeing how hard these little monks studies in pursuit for more knowledge and a better future in a dim lighted classroom, to an old lady carrying heavy bottles filled with water up the hill for her family in the rain. There are, however, two main events that are most memorable to me. The first one is of a Tibetan mother. Besides teaching at the monastery and doing community mapping, another important item we provide is the free clinical service. This year we had set up in two locations for a total of 3 days. On the third day a Tibetan mother carrying two kids came, one on her back and another walking along side with her holding her hand. The kids are around the age of 3 and 6. They seemed like they had walked a long way to come to the monastery and the mother had a red eye that looked infected. During the wait to be called, she had to go outsides a few times, when I asked her if she is okay, she told me it was due to the sever pain of her eye. She registered for two departments, pediatric for her kids and ophthalmology for herself. When the services ended we found the registration paper for the Tibetan mother. I asked around my teammates and found out that the children had seen the doctors; however, the Tibetan mother herself did not. A condition which I thought was too severe to be ignored, but she was there for her children and had forgotten about herself. From her it was clear to me the power of love and the lack of medical service to them.

The second event that really touched me was witness of how hard some of the doctors had worked. As soon as the doctors arrived at Nepal from Ladakh they had to start the free medical service. We drove them straight from the airport to the first spot. Perhaps it was the miscommunication, but they did not know that they had to start right away after a long flight with no food. I can see how tired and even a bit upset they were when they arrived and heard the news, however, as soon as they start meeting the patients their whole attitude changes and became very caring and loving. Some doctors worked restless for the next two days not going out for sight seeing and barely even take any water or restroom breaks. Those doctors also worked until the very last minute before their flight back trying to see as many patients as possible. In them I see compassion, caring, kindness and empathy. All traits of a good doctor and someone I strive to be in the future.

This was truly and exceptional experience. One that had made me grow, be a better person and one I shall never forget. Too often I feel we relay too much on technology that we often forget what it’s like to talk to people in person anymore. Seeing them in person and their body language. This trip allowed me to get in touch with human and life in its more simple form.

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

醫學系七年級李旻珊出國研習心得

醫學系 林默涵-科隆大學交換實習

牙醫五 游智傑